Church of the
This site was last updated November 25, 2013 by Tracy Aurand
Spreading the light of Jesus.
Join us on a journey of faith
The Havana Church of the Nazarene was organized on June 10, 1923, following a tent revival. There were sixteen charter members. A "tabernacle" served as the first building. Eventually, the church relocated to its present site on South Broadway. A church near Mason City was torn down and reconstructed at the new location. A remodeled building was dedicated in 1960, and an addition to the north was completed in 2001.
Many people have heard the gospel preached in this church throughout the years. Young people are serving as ministers and laymen in many other places. Presently, Jim Buchanan serves as pastor, returning after 20 years as a missionary in Africa. He had been minister of music in Havana from 1975 to 1985.
Having celebrated the 90th year in Havana in 2013, the congregation looks forward to the days ahead. The mission statement "To love the people in our community so that they can come to know Jesus Christ fully" is an ever-present reminder of the challenges and responsibilities of the Body of Christ in Havana, Illinois.